Author Notes: I love the mixture of pistachios and blackberries, but other berries can be used as well. —MarieGlobetrotter
Food52 Review: WHO: MarieGlobetrotter is an avid baker (with almost 200 recipes on the site!) from Montreal.
WHAT: The love child of a blackberry pie and pudding.
HOW: Place a milk-based pie crust into a pie tin, then line the bottom with blackberries. Cover the berries with a creamy pistachio filling and bake until golden brown.
WHY WE LOVE IT: The custard-y filling of this simple pie corrals the unlikely duo of blackberries and pistachios into a delicious summer dessert. Have a slice, then wash it down with some rosé—that's what we call the perfect ending to a warm day. —The Editors
Makes: 1 pie
For the dough:
cup softened butter
milliliters lukewarm milk
small egg yolk
tablespoon superfine sugar
cups all-purpose flour
For the filling:
cup almond meal
cup superfine sugar
cup whole, shelled pistachios
tablespoons butter, melted
- To make the dough, put the butter in the bowl of your stand mixer and mix until smooth. While continuing to blend, add the milk and egg yolk, then add the salt and sugar. Slowly sift the flour into the butter mixture. Combine until the dough is homogenous. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- To make the filling, break the eggs into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the almond meal, sugar, cream, pistachios, melted butter, and flour. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Butter a 10-inch pie pan.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll it out onto a floured surface. Line the pan with the dough, then prick the bottom all over with a fork.
- Spread blackberries out onto the dough then pour the pistachio-cream filling on top.
- Bake until golden brown and the custard doesn't move when jiggled, about 40 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely before serving.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!