If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love a light, bright, dainty lettuces in summer - but now that we're in the thick of winter, only hearty kale can cure my salad cravings. Roasted carrots lend sweetness and warmth to the greens and a handful of chickpeas add protein to transform this to a satisfying lunch or light supper. A drizzle of spiced tahini dressing is a rich, creamy final touch. Be sure to make extra to keep on hand to dress up plain steamed vegetables and grains in a pinch.
kale and carrot salad
- 1 bunch carrots, peeled and cut on a large bias
- 1 tablespoon 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divded
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed and torn into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Add carrots to baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. Roast until carrots are tender and caramelized – about 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place torn kale in a large bowl. Add lemon juice, remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt.
- Gently ‘massage’ kale with clean hands. Kale should turn bright green and begin to tenderize. Toss in chickpeas and cooked carrots. Drizzle with tahini dressing and serve extra on the side.
spiced tahini dressing
- 1/4 cup roasted tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 piece garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon turkish maras peppers (or substitute 2 teaspoons paprika + dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- Whisk all ingredients together. Depending on the consistency of the tahini (whether oily or solid) you may need to add a bit of extra water until you reach desired consistency. Season to taste
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens