Author Notes: You already know that beets are a power-house of nutrients. But while most people use the magenta root, the greens end up in the trash. What a waste! Sauté this dish in minutes to take advantage of the protein, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus and Zinc, Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper and Manganese! And you were about to throw that all away… —Anne
beet green tops - chopped
small cloves of garlic
large date - extra finely chopped
tablespoon coconut oil
tablespoon fresh lemon juice
teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- Warm coconut oil in a large saute pan.
- Add garlic to pan and saute until warm and translucent.
- Add beet greens and sauté until soft and wilted (about 3 minutes).
- Add date and stir until warm.
- Add lemon, old bay, and ginger.
- Mix well and serve warm.
- Optional: garnish with hemp seeds for added protein.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens