If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you are looking for a new way to get more greens and protein into your diet, this dish accomplishes both. Finely cut kale is sautéed with protein rich ground lentils to create a vegan dish of substance. This is a curry style from Southern India called “Paruppu Usili”. You will have to go to an Indian grocery store to get the dals (or dried lentils) and some of the other spices as well. These are all staples in the Indian kitchen so you will have what you need to try many more recipes. —Vidhya
cup Toor Dal
cup Chana Dal
piece Dried Red Chili
tablespoons Olive Oil
teaspoon Mustard Seeds
teaspoon Urad Dal
- Put the toor and chana dals in a bowl and add enough warm water to cover. Soak for about 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and put the dals in a food processor or blender along with the dried red chili, the asafoetida and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Process or blend the dals. Set aside.
- Wash the kale well. Remove the hard center ribs of the kale and cut the kale finely.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- When the mustard seeds start popping add the ground dals and the kale.
- Mix well. Add more oil (up to a tablespoon) if the mixture seems dry.
- Sauté until the ground dals are cooked well.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens