If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Want all the delicious flavors of sushi, but without the hassle of wrapping? Enter, sushi bowl! Inspired by Talia Christine's recipe for sushi bowls (http://taliachristine.blogspot.com/2012/07/sushi-bowl.html) I couldn't wait to add my own touch! This recipe is flexible because you can use your favorite sushi ingredients (hate the idea of fish, while your hubs chows down on raw tuna? No problem. Just change what you put in each person's bowl). But the BEST part about this recipe, to me, is the japanese "magic sauce". It's like the white sauce you see in hibachi restaurants, but with a little extra kick. It's just the right amount of flavor to add to your bowl! —Lauren Huber
Serves 2-4 (depending on how much you like to eat)
- 1 cup jasmine rise
- 1 avocado
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 teaspoons brown rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Japanese "magic sauce"
- 1/4 cup mayonaise
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon brown rice vinegar
- pinches garlic powder
- pinches paprika
- For the bowls: 1. Cook rice as directed 2. While rice is cooking, prep your veggies (chop the carrots, perp the asparagus, cut avocado) and put water on to boil for the asparagus 3. Boil asparagus for about 3 minutes, set aside in slightly warm oven (like 150F, or just put them in the oven and don't turn it on) 4. Make your japanese magic sauce, and put in fridge 5. When rice is done, pour into a bowl large enough to allow you to stir the rice up with a few tablespoons of the brown rice vinegar, and the melted butter. Season to taste (I used the sesame seeds and a pinch of salt) 6. scoop rice into your bowls and top with veggies 7. Drizzle with magic. 8. DIG IN! *I used a seaweed + sesame seed + black sesame seed blend from whole foods. I love the salty crunchy savory flavor of seaweed and sesame. But again, follow your taste buds!
- For the magic sauce: 1. mix all ingredients until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to eat. (keeps in the fridge about 3 days)