If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I experimented with a kale salad using a variety of cleansing ingredients. Now I will warn you - this is a detox salad which means it has a very light (but refreshing) flavor. There is intensity in the combination of lemon, apple cider vinegar, oranges and red onion but overall, there is something very subtle about this salad. I added shredded coconut to give a touch of tropical flair which I thought would compliment the citrus flavors, add a touch of sweetness, and momentarily appease my daily daydream of escaping the winter gloom and jetting off to the Caribbean! —zestandzeal
- 2 bunches lacinato kale
- 1 orange, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- Raw sunflower seeds
- Shredded, unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- dashes turmeric
- dashes cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Remove the stems and chop the kale.
- Wash the kale leaves (I like to use a salad spinner). Place the kale in a large bowl.
- Mix lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, turmeric, cumin, olive oil, honey and sea salt in a jar. Shake or whisk to blend.
- Pour dressing over kale leaves and massage the leaves to mix thoroughly.
- Taste a leaf and adjust flavors as necessary. You may want to add more orange juice, lemon, vinegar, salt, spices, or honey depending on your preference.
- Place kale on plates or serving bowl. Garnish with orange pieces, red onion, sunflower seeds, and coconut flakes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens