If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In putting together a recipe book with friends, I was tasked with crafting the perfect grapefruit salad recipe for winter. Grapefruit is packed with Vitamin C (perfect for staving off the dreaded winter cold) and the smell is a GREAT mood lifter. Paired with a hearty green, & a blend of key vegetables (with pomegranate as the secret weapon, more Vit C!), this salad is just plain YUM. The optional avocado gives it a bit of creaminess and balances the textures nicely. I scoured tons of other salad recipes using grapefruit and this is my own personal favorite combo! —nicole blonder
- 2 Large Pink Grapefruits (reserve peel for zest)
- 1 Pomegranate
- 8 large leaves romaine, kale, arugula or other green
- 1/2 fennel bulb
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Avocado (optional)
- Start by de-seeding the pomegranate (easier than you think). Score the pomegrante around the middle (cut about 1/8“ deep). Gently pull apart two halves. Further loosen each half by pulling the sides away from each other gently. Take out a medium sized bowl. Loosely hold each half in the palm of your hand, seeds down, over the bowl. Whack the rind strongly with a wooden spoon, over and over until all the seeds drop into the bowl. Pick out the large pith chunks. Set this bowl aside.
- Peel the grapefruit (set the peel aside). Remove any remaining outer white pith with a sharp knife. Working over another (empty) bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membranes, allowing any juice to drip into the bowl. Cut each segment in half on a cutting board and put back in bowl. Take out a small bowl or jar to use for dressing - squeeze all pith and membranes to extract juice for dressing. Drain any excess juice from the grapefruit bowl into the dressing bowl. Should yield 1/3 – ½ cup grapefruit juice. Zest as much of the peel as you like into the dressing bowl, 1-2 tsp works well.
- Wash and dry greens, slice into ribbons (or tear into chunks) and put into a large salad bowl. Slice fennel and add to bowl. Transfer pomegranate seeds and drained grapefruit pieces to salad bowl.
- To finish dressing, add mustard, olive oil, salt + pepper to dressing bowl. Add any pomegranate juice drippings. Whisk briskly until well blended. Pour over salad and toss.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens