If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Great side dish for beef or lamb ; you can leave out the speck to make this vegetarian —Rebecca
Serves 2 as generous side dish
- 1 bunch Kale (or cavalo Nero)
- 3 tablespoons Pine nuts ( you can substitute roasted unsalted hazelnuts)
- 40 grams Smoked speck - remove rind ( available from a good quality delis)
- Toast the nuts on very low heat in a shallow pan until golden; continue to move whilst toasting and remove from the hot pan once toasted or they will burn ! Burned nuts taste pretty terrible - be careful
- Wash the kale, remove the spines and rip into bite size pieces, ie 1/3 the size of your palm
- Cut the speck into small squares 0.5 cm x 0.5 cm
- Brown off the speck on low heat until thoroughly browned ; a bit of fat will cook out - leave this in the pan
- Turn up the heat to high and add the kale ; keep it moving using tongs and cook until wilted; it will go bright green as it wilts ; once cooked add the bacon and pine nuts ; warm thru quickly and serve with a bit of freshly cracked pepper
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens
More Great Recipes: Side Dishes