If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my go to recipe when I want a hearty vegetable based soup that is vegan friendly. I adapted this recipe as the seasons change, using veggies that I get from my garden or the market, it is easy enough to put in any green leafy vegetable, I've thrown up to 8 at one time. I adapted this recipe from Eating Well magazine back in 2011, they made 4 different variations on this one green soup, one called a basic green soup that has rice in it, which is pureed. A very green lentil soup, where my variation comes from, a rustic parsley and orzo soup with walnuts; and lastly a green soup with yams and sage-Dont they all sound so yummy and wonderful! My soup has been adapted so many times over, and I have used so many different "green" veggies and different kinds of spices, I landed on this one for your eating pleasure. Yummy in your tummy and good for you too! —deb
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 5 cups water, divided
- 1 1/4 cups french green lentils
- 2 medium yukon gold potato's, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 3 cups Kale, trimmed and chopped
- 2 cups mustard greens, trimmed and chopped
- 2 scallions,chopped-white and part of green
- 1 medium broccoli crown, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh curly parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, leaves removed from woody stems
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- In a large 6 quart cast iron pot, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil, add onions, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper and turmeric, stirring for 12-15 minutes until onions turn translucent and start to brown.
- Add lentils and stir; pour water over lentils, bring to boil, then reduce heat down to a simmer cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile trim and chop the kale, mustard greens and scallions.
- Cut the potato and set all aside.
- When the lentils have cooked, stir in the kale, mustard greens, potato and scallions. Add remaining cup water, stir and add remaining salt and pepper.
- Return to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli, cilantro, parsley, and thyme. Stir and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in fresh lime juice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens