I think this happened one night when my daughters and I found the cupboard was bare but for some carrots and few other random items. Necessity is the mother.
Simple and very tasty. People ask me for this recipe all the time and we often serve it for Christmas dinner since it pairs so well with almost any other dish. I'll get a photo up here soon. —Wendy Lewis
- Serves 6
minced fresh ginger
fresh thyme or marjoram
white wine (or lemon juice) for deglazing
swirl of maple syrup to taste
salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the carrots and slice into medium matchsticks
- Melt the butter in a heavy frying pan on med heat and add the ginger and garlic, cooking for a minute or two
- Deglaze the pan with white wine or lemon juice and allow to bubble off for a minute or two
- Add carrots, stir, cover and simmer until crisp tender, about 5-8 minutes. Check to be sure the pan isn't dry and add water if it is
- Uncover and test carrots for desired tenderness. Add thyme (and more butter if you love it like I do) and then swirl a little maple syrup around the pan, stirring lightly to mix.
- Twist on the salt & pepper. Serve!