If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This soup is my loosely based version of a soup served by the Mañana Garage in Kahului which unfortunately closed many years ago . I loved their chicken tortilla soup and this is my version . The lettuce may sound unusual but it adds a lot of texture to a very flavorful soup and I use iceberg which is very crunchy. This soup can be assembled ahead of time except for the last addition of hot chicken broth and the garnish. (My husband used to joke that the reason there is no word for "manana" in Hawaiian is that it is too soon!) Ingredients are for one bowl so do the math depending on how many bowls you want to prepare. —dymnyno
Serves one but easily doubled or tripled or quadrupled...
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 chicken breast
1 cup chopped lettuce, either romaine or iceberg
1/2 avocado (Hass)
1/2 cup jicama (optional, but gives soup a nice crunch)
1 or 2 green onions, mostly white part, chopped
Salsa (1 green onion, small tomato,red pepper cilantro small dice)
1 corn tortilla
red pepper flakes (to taste)
1 tablespoon sour cream (or creme fraiche)
cilantro (fine chop for garnish)
1/2 fresh lime
- Saute the chicken breast and slice into thin pieces
- Slice the avocado
- Peel and julienne the jicama into matchsticks
- Make the salsa: finely chop the green onions, tomatoes and cilantro and mix together
- Fry the corn tortilla in a little oil. Pat off the excess oil with a paper towell.
- ASSEMBLE: In the bottom of a large soup bowl place the fried tortilla.
- On top of the tortilla, put the chopped lettuce.
- Next , the sliced chicken.
- Next, the sliced avocado.
- Next, the salsa.
- Next, the jicama.
- HEAT the chicken stock, add the cumin, chopped green onion and red pepper flakes and salt to taste.
- Pour the chicken stock into the soup bowl.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour creme and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with a 1/2 lime to squeeze into the soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Chicken
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Home Alone Dinner