If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Oven "Fried" Chicken with Paprika & Tarragon was one of the earliest recipes I acquired when I moved into my first grownup apartment after college. It's pure simplicity - barely even a "recipe." Easy to customize to your taste. It's delicious warm or cold and always popular at potlucks, picnics, and PTA luncheons. Because of it's ease of preparation, I made it regularly when the kids were small and they now make it often because it fits into their busy schedules. —jph
Serves as much as you want
Chicken legs and/or thighs (as many as you need)
Sweet Hungarian paprika (or a combination of sweet and hot)
Dried tarragon leaves
Kosher or sea salt (optional)
- Lightly coat a baking pan with peanut oil. Trim off excess blobs of fat from the chicken, but leave the skin on. Place chicken in the pan and turn to coat with oil.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with paprika and dried tarragon leaves (crush them lightly with fingers as you sprinkle them over the chicken).
- Arrange chicken skin-side up on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt (optional, to taste).
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven, without turning, until completely cooked and skin is crispy, about 40- 45 minutes.
- Variation: Mix equal amounts of sweet Hungarian paprika, hot Madras curry powder, freshly ground cumin seed, and chili powder. Sprinkle on both sides of chicken pieces and bake as above. Use a neutral oil. (Because ground cumin tends to lose potency rather quickly, make smaller batches of this blend to keep on hand for quick dinner preparation.)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Chicken
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken