Author Notes: This soup was invented during a New York City heat wave when even the thought of turning on the stove was anathema. It's a simpler alternative to gaspacho that makes great use of the flavors and produce of summer. —Savour
- 2.25 pounds ripe tomatoes
- .25 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 pieces garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 pinch salt
- 2/3 cup ricotta
- 2/3 cup basil pesto
- Wash tomatoes and remove stems. Roughly chop.
- Combine chopped tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and vinegar in food processor. Puree until smooth. Chill soup.
- To serve, divide ricotta and pesto among 4 bowls.
- Spoon soup over ricotta and pesto in bowls. Stir before eating.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Tomato Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cold Soup