This is a go to recipe I have been making for years. It is simple, affordable and tastes amazing. —Gastronomicdiva
- Serves 2
- Herb butter
Butter ( room temperature)
Chopped fresh Thyme
Garlic clove (minced)
onion ( chopped)
Kosher salt ( to taste)
Fresh cracked pepper ( to taste)
Skin on, bone in chicken thighs
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees . Adjust racks to the middle of the oven.
- Place room temperature butter, minced garlic and thyme and mix together in a small bowel. Mash with a fork. set aside
- Rinse chicken thighs and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Set chicken on cutting board. Lift the chicken skin from the top of the thigh and add 1 tablespoon of the herb butter mixture under the chicken skin. Evenly press the chicken skin so the butter appears to be evenly spread under the chicken skin. Set aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of butter over medium heat in a large stainless steel skillet.
- Add chopped onions and stir. Lower heat to medium/low heat, cover for approx 12 minutes ( or until tender) Onions should be tender.
- Uncover and stir onions. Cook on medium heat for approximately 5 minutes ( or until golden brown)
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove onions from skillet and place in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in skillet on medium/high heat. With a spatula scrape up the onion particles.
- Add salt and pepper to one side of the chicken thighs. Place in skillet. Sear chicken thigh ( approx 2-3 minutes)
- Add salt and pepper to the uncooked side of the chicken thigh. Turn chicken thigh over and sear the other side ( approx 2- 3 minutes)
- Add mushrooms to the skillet and place in oven for approx 12-15 minutes. Thermometer should read 165 F.
- Have oven mitts on hand. Remove chicken thighs and let them rest for about 5 minutes. Remove the mushrooms and set aside.
- This is what will make the sauce. Over low/medium heat, deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup of red wine. Take the spatula and scrape the the skillet. Remove from heat.
- Pass sauce through a fine strainer or sieve into a Pyrex( or other heat proof bowl) Add salt and pepper to taste
- Place skillet over low heat, add the onions and mushrooms back into the sauce and heat it till warm.
- Place chicken on the place and add sauce over it. Enjoy!