Author Notes: Pongal is a popular breakfast dish in South India. Typically served with coconut chutney and sambar. —Praveen Kumar
cup Moong Dal
teaspoons Black Peppercorns
pinch Asafoetida Powder
sprigs Curry Leaves
- Fry the cashewnuts in little ghee and keep aside.
- Combine the rice and dal in a pan and wash well.
- Drain and add 7 cups of water.
- Pressure cook till 4 whistles and remove.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add the cooked rice and dal.
- Add salt and stir to mix well.
- Garnish with fried cashewnuts.
- Serve with coconut chutney and sambar.