Author Notes: Elvis Presley made great music and had amazing taste in sandwiches. His fondness for peanut butter, banana, and bacon sandwiches is well established. Linda's significant other Joe is allergic to peanuts, so making homemade nut butters is a weekly routine in our house. This is our take on the classic Elvis sandwich, replacing the bacon with anchovies and peanuts with almonds. The anchovies provide great saltiness and flavor to the almond butter. Needless to say, this is one of our favorite lunchtime brown bag sandwiches. —Double Helping
Makes: 1 sandwich
slices of your favorite bread
cup almond butter (homemade preferred, but purchased is fine too!)
banana, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- If you would like to, toast bread slices. We prefer to toast the bread with a smear of unsalted butter on a griddle or stove.
- Place almond butter in a small bowl.
- Mince anchovy fillets. Add to almond butter. Mix with a fork until mixture is combined. Taste and add more almond butter or anchovy fillet to taste (will depend on how big your anchovy fillets are).
- Spread anchovy almond butter over toast. Top with banana slices and honey.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Anchovies