If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Wild fennel, wild asparagus, sweet peas, mushrooms and lemon combine in this very light and flavourful risotto. It's not a Cypriot recipe, but makes use of the spring time vegetables that are around in the farmers' markets at the moment. In Cyprus, spring lasts for a very short time, so this is a real treat to make and enjoy! —[email protected]
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbs salted butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 4-5 finely chopped shallots
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup fresh sweet peas
- 1/2 cup chopped wild asparagus
- 1/4 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1 tbs finely copped wild fennel shoots
- 4 chopped mushrooms
- 3-4 cups homemade vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tbs pecorino romano
- grated pecorino romano, lemon zest, roasted pumpkin seeds for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter and 1 tbs olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, chopped fennel bulb and a little salt. Cook for about 4 minutes until soft.
- Add rice and stir to coat for about 1 minute.
- Add white wine and 1/2 of the lemon juice. Stir and cook the rice mixture, allowing some of the liquid to be absorbed.
- Begin to add your vegetable or homemade chicken broth. Add one ladle at a time, adding a ladle after the liquid of the previous ladle is absorbed. This process should take about 18 to 20 minutes.
- During the last few minutes (about 15 minutes in), add your asparagus, sweet peas, wild fennel, mushrooms, remaining lemon juice, lemon zest (leave some for garnish) and 1 tbs grated pecorino romano. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Garnish with lemon zest, grated pecorino romano and roasted pumpkin seeds.