Spice up basic granola with a savory cayenne kick
Spice up basic granola with a savory cayenne kick—Borrowed Salt
Makes: 5 cups
tablespoons coconut oil
tablespoons maple syrup, divided
cups rolled oats (not instant)
cup unsweetened coconut flakes (I like the big ones)
cup sliced almonds
cup coarsely chopped pecans
teaspoons sea salt
teaspoon cayenne pepper
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 300F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, combine coconut oil, honey and 1 Tbs maple syrup. Heat over low until melted and blended together.
- Combine all dry ingredients (oats, coconut, nuts, pepitas, and spices) and stir thoroughly.
- Slowly drizzle oil mixture over dry mixture, stirring til blended and slightly chunky. Spread in a layer over baking sheet. Drizzle remaining maple syrup over granola. This gives you a nice kick of pure maple flavor in every few bites, rather than diluting it into an overall sweetness.
- Bake for 40 minutes, stirring every ten. Let cool and store in an air-tight container.
- I love this granola with Greek yogurt kefir and strawberries. The subtle savory spice tastes great with less-sweet toppings like tangy Greek yogurt.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe