If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This sandwich was inspired by a similar sandwich from place called 'Seller's Market'. This was my once-a-week morning treat, until Seller's closed down a few years ago. The chevre makes this sandwich feel sinful, even if it's surprising healthy. Here I poach the egg to medium in the microwave, a method I found on TheKitchn.com and it's the only way I poach eggs these days. You can fry the egg too, if you wish. The directions look long, but the whole process will probably take about 15 minutes max. —HalfPint
good quality English muffin or sandwich roll,split
whole cremini mushrooms, sliced
whole baby spinach leaves, cleaned
knob of fresh chevre, ~1 TB size
butter or oil
- Put muffin halves into the toaster, lightly toast. Keep warm.
- While the muffin toasts... In a small frying pan, heat a small amount, ~1tsp or so, of butter or oil. Add mushrooms & a pinch of salt, and quickly saute until cooked. Usually takes about 2 minutes. You can cook the mushrooms ahead of time, refrigerate, and warm it just before adding to the sandwich.
- While the mushrooms cook... Take a microwave-safe small bowl/ramekin or ceramic coffee mug and fill half way with water. Add the vinegar and crack in the egg. Make sure that the egg is totally covered with water, by at least 1/4 inch. If it is not, spoon in some more water. Place bowl/mug in microwave.
- Microwave at 80% power for 45 seconds. Then, at the same power, cook at 20-second increments until the egg is poached to your liking. I like a medium poached egg and in my microwave this takes about 1 minute 30 seconds. Drain with a slotted spoon. Alternatively, you can fry the egg.
- Place cooked egg on top of the bottom half of the English muffin. Top egg with sauteed mushrooms & spinach leaves, then the chevre. Place muffin top on and dig in.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe