If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When organic Peruvian coffee beans meet Argentinian-raised prime ribeye, you get a deep-flavored roast that everyone will rave about. —Mylittlejarofspices
Food52 Review: WHO: Mylittlejarofspices works for a social impact consulting firm in Peru.
WHAT: A new way to use your coffee beans and a new roast for your holiday table.
HOW: Coat a ribeye with a mixture of ground coffee beans and peppercorns, salt, and dried garlic. Sear it on the stovetop, then bake in the oven for 25 minutes per pound. Remember to let it rest before slicing.
WHY WE LOVE IT: This roast reminds us that we should be using our coffee beans in so much more than just our morning mug. We’re serving this, medium rare, for future holiday dinners and beyond. —The Editors
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 boneless ribeye roast (about 5 pounds)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole organic coffee beans
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter, for cooking
- Take the roast out of the refrigerator and leave it at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours before handling. This is important so that the meat stays tender once cooked.
- Preheat oven to 325° F (160° C) and place a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Grind the coffee beans and peppercorns and mix this with the salt and dried garlic. Rub the seasoning all over the roast with your hands.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat for several minutes until very hot. Add the butter and let it melt, coating the whole bottom of the skillet. Carefully add the roast and brown for 1 1/2 minutes on each side, using a pair of tongs to turn it. Do not move it other than to turn it.
- If using an oven-proof skillet, transfer the skillet directly to the oven. Otherwise, transfer the roast to a shallow pan (no deeper than 2 inches, so the heat circulates optimally) previously heated in the oven. Roast the ribeye for 25 minutes per pound. For a 5-pound roast, you’ll want to roast it for about 2 hours and 5 minutes.
- Once done, remove roast from the oven and cover loosely with a sheet of aluminium foil. Let it rest for at least 20 minutes before slicing so as to allow for the juices to settle and redistribute.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!