If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I like my breakfast savory, and this wonderful spicy sandwich is a perfect match. It is a great way to get not only some protein to start the day, but a portion of vegetables. The recipe can be batched up for multiple servings, or as is, for one. It can even be served open-faced to make the meal a little lighter. —SugarnStuff
- 2 slices olive bread, lightly toasted
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1/4 green pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 4 ounces chopped tomato (can use canned, drained)
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 ounce crumbled feta cheese
- 1.5 tablespoons harissa sauce
- 1.5 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise
- boston lettuce
- Add 1 tsp of olive oil to a small non-stick pan, bring to medium heat.
- Add onions and green pepper to oiled pan along with spices. Cook for several minutes until vegetables have softened. Add tomatoes and cook until liquids have reduced somewhat (the time will depend on whether you have used fresh or canned tomatoes)
- When vegetables have cooked down, crack the large egg over top, add a pinch of sea salt and a grind of pepper. Cover and cook for a minute or two.
- Remove cover from pan and sprinkle the feta over the egg. Return cover and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, until egg yolk is set and feta has melted slightly. Remove from heat.
- Mix harissa sauce and mayonnaise together and spread on both slices of olive bread. Place boston lettuce leaves on one slice of bread.
- Spoon egg and tomato mixture onto the slice of bread without the lettuce. Press remaining slice of bread to make the sandwich. Plate up and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe