Author Notes: My Baba (Croatian grandmother) taught my father how to make this simple apple strudel. This crunchy, not too sweet, and quite tasty pastry is a wonderful thing to make when you have some granny smith apples in your kitchen. Serve with a dollop of cream or ice cream to take it to the next level! —In Vero Veritas
Makes: approx 12 slices
Sheets of Filo Dough
teaspoon Cinnamon Sugar
Stick of Butter
Granny Smith Apples
- Crush Maria cookies and mix with cinnamon
- Place one sheet of filo dough on a towel and spread melted butter all over the sheet with a brush and lightly sprinkle the crushed Maria cookies and cinnamon on top
- Add second filo sheet and repeat butter spreading and cookie sprinkling. Continue this process until you've reached the 10th sheet!
- Directly grate two peeled apples (Grammy Smith preferable, sour/sweet) onto the filo, spread evenly over the bottom half of the dough, length-wise (hot-dog style).
- Sprinkle the raisins and sugar over the grated apples evenly, as well. Don't be shy with these!
- Fold the ends and roll the filo over itself into a log
- Brush butter over the top of the log and with a sharp knife pre-slice the strudel
- Bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Eat warm with vanilla ice cream or cream. Enjoy!!!