If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My Baba (Croatian grandmother) taught my father how to make this simple apple strudel. This crunchy, not too sweet, and quite tasty pastry is a wonderful thing to make when you have some granny smith apples in your kitchen. Serve with a dollop of cream or ice cream to take it to the next level! —In Vero Veritas
Makes approx 12 slices
- 10 Sheets of Filo Dough
- 20 Maria Cookies
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon Sugar
- 1/2 Stick of Butter
- 2 Granny Smith Apples
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- Crush Maria cookies and mix with cinnamon
- Place one sheet of filo dough on a towel and spread melted butter all over the sheet with a brush and lightly sprinkle the crushed Maria cookies and cinnamon on top
- Add second filo sheet and repeat butter spreading and cookie sprinkling. Continue this process until you've reached the 10th sheet!
- Directly grate two peeled apples (Grammy Smith preferable, sour/sweet) onto the filo, spread evenly over the bottom half of the dough, length-wise (hot-dog style).
- Sprinkle the raisins and sugar over the grated apples evenly, as well. Don't be shy with these!
- Fold the ends and roll the filo over itself into a log
- Brush butter over the top of the log and with a sharp knife pre-slice the strudel
- Bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Eat warm with vanilla ice cream or cream. Enjoy!!!