If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The sweet smell of cinnamon in these quinoa and apple muffins will make your mouth water in anticipation. —Izabella Walker
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1.25 cups fat free yogurt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- .25 cups canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced apple
- 1 cup quinoa cooked with 2 cups of water for 15 minutes, cooled
Oatmeal and Cinnamon Topping Ingredients
- .5 cups old fashioned oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- Cook 1 cup of quinoa according to package instruction. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl mix together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl, combine yogurt, milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs, stirring with a whisk.
- Add yogurt mixture to the flour mixture, and stir just until moist.
- Fold in cooled quinoa and diced apple.
- To make the topping, combine together in a small mixing bowl, ½ cup of the old-fashion oatmeal, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and flour.
- Fill muffin pans with liners. Spoon 1/4 cup of batter into each liner. Sprinkle evenly with oatmeal and cinnamon topping.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 16 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Remove muffins from pan, and serve warm or at room temperature. This recipe makes 24 muffins.
- This is a Smell of Rosemary original recipe. See http://www.smellofrosemary.blogspot.com/2014/03/quinoa-and-apple-muffins.html for step-by-step cooking instructions and photos.