If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is savory and tangy with some subtle sweetness from the onions --simple, moist, and healthy to boot. Inspired by tasty salmon dish my mom baked in foil on the grill last summer that converted a non-salmon eater! —Anne
- 4 6-8 oz. Salmon Fillets, skin on (or 1 large multi-serving fillet instead)
- 1 Small to Medium Onion
- 2 Medium Lemons
- 1 Bulb of Fennel
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Mustard Seeds
- 4 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 4-6 Garlic Cloves (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- Parchment Paper or foil (not to eat! but to wrap the fish)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a sheet pan with the parchment/foil; the wrapper you choose should be 1.5-2x the length of the pan --lay it flat, with one edge hanging off legnthwise, and set aside.
- Peel onion and slice thinly (preferably with mandolin). Layer onions in the middle of parchment/foil and drizzle with 1 tbsp. olive oil.
- Cut off the fennel stalks and fronds; reserve for later. Slice the fennel bulb thinly (preferably with mandolin). Layer fennel slices on top of onions, in the parchment/foil.
- Peel and crush garlic cloves --scatter in between fennel and onions.
- Cut one lemon in half and set half aside. Slice the remaining 1.5 lemons thinly (preferably with a mandolin). Layer 2/3 of the lemon slices on top of the fennel and onions. Drizzle evenly with another tbsp. of olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Salt and pepper the salmon, and put on top of the veggie/lemon mix.
- Mix the dijon mustard, remaining oil, and lemon juice from 1/2 lemon with a fork. Drizzle the mixture over the salmon evenly.
- Top the salmon mix with remaining lemon slices, 4-5 fennel fronds, and the tbsp of mustard seeds
- Create a sealed pocket with the parchment foil, by folding the hanging edge on top of the salmon mix and folding or rolling sides into the middle.
- Place the sheet pan with the fish packet in the oven and bake 20-30 min, depending how you like the doneness of your salmon. When finished, unwrap, and voila --you should have tender moist fish with perfectly done veggies.