Author Notes: The beauty of this ice cream is that it doesn't require a machine- whipping all ingredients individually means the texture remains soft and light. The recipe can also be used as a base for other flavours, so do experiment! It's adapted from Jamie Oliver's semifreddo (Jamie Magazine, Issue 3) —Anna Lina
grams caster sugar
large free-range eggs
milliliters double cream
- Whisk sugar and egg yolks in the largest bowl until pale, creamy and doubled in size.
- In a second bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form.
- In a third bowl, whip the cream and vanilla beans until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the cream then then egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours, stirring once every hour.