If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a terrific room temperature salad with the tangy, spicy flavors of Indian chaat (vegetable snacks). Goes great with grilled meats or an array of summer salads. For more great recipes, check out my website www.kitchenflanerie.blogspot.com. —Aruna
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 2 waxy potatoes (white, red, Yukon gold)
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 red chili, seeds removed and sliced crosswise into thin strips
- 1.5 teaspoons garam masala
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (juice of one lemon)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1. Pour boiling water over the dried chickpeas that you've placed in a medium bowl. Let sit for 1-2 hrs. Cook in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes using the quick-release method, or cook in a medium saucepan covered with 2 inches of water for about 45 minutes or until tender. Drain the cooked chickpeas and place in a medium bowl.
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and cook until tender (about 15 minutes). Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel of the skin and dice into 1/2" cubes. Add to the bowl with the chick peas. Add the red onion and chili to the bowl, as well.
- Add the garam masala, lemon juice, salt, and olive oil to the bowl. Toss gently and taste for seasoning; you may well need to add salt. If the salad seems dry, add 1 TB additional olive oil. (The amount of oil and salt will depend very much on how much the potatoes absorb when they're dressed.) Allow to sit till just warm or room temperature so that the flavors meld. Serve, garnished with chopped cilantro if you'd like.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas