If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: At a holiday party a couple of years ago, I was handed a paper cone of crispy oven-roasted chickpeas. I tried one and was floored--they were crackly, nutty, and incredibly addictive. It turns out that making your own crispy chickpeas at home is easy and satisfying. You can flavor them any way you like, but this smoky spice mix is my favorite. —ieatthepeach
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
(15 oz) can chickpeas OR 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
tablespoon olive oil (not extra virgin)
Salt to taste
teaspoon chili powder
teaspoon smoked paprika
teaspoon ground cumin
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F, and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Drain and rinse chickpeas, and dry thoroughly on paper towels. Pat dry or use a salad spinner–you want these bone-dry. Remove any loose skins.
- Toss chickpeas with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and spread on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake, stirring every 10 minutes, for 30-40 minutes, until chickpeas are golden and crunchy.
- While the chickpeas roast, whisk together chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne in a bowl.
- Remove the chickpeas from the oven. Immediately toss the hot chickpeas with the spice mixture. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Edible Gift
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas