Author Notes: Making wine at home is easy. The most important ingredient in making wine is loads of patience Apart from patience you require to be absolutely sterile conditions. —Rajesh Sharma
Ripe red grapes
camp den tablet
- Place washed and dried grapes into a nylon straining bag and place it on the bottom of a huge bucket that has been properly sanitized.
- Crush the grapes inside the bag and add a crush camp den tablet into the grapes too.
- Measure the temperature of the must. It should be 70-75 degree Farenheit. Warm the must gently if it is not the correct temperature.
- Measure the acid content in the must. It should be between 6 to 7% per litre. If it is not enough, add a bit of tartaric acid to adjust.
- Check the specific gravity of the juice. It should be around 0.998 SG.
- Prepare the yeast by dissolving in warm water. Add the yeast to the must in the nylon bag and mix well by lifting and dropping the bag several times in the bucket.Cover the bucket with a cheesecloth and let it stand in a cool dry place.
- Mix the juice everyday for about 21 days.
- Once the must has reached a specific gravity of 0.998 S,siphon off thewine into a sanitized one-gallon jug. Take care not to disturb the sediments on bottom.Top up with dry white wine of similar style. Fit the bottle with a fermentation lock. Top up with white wine. Keepa solution of sulphite in the fermentation lock. After 10 days, siphon off the wine into another sanitized one-gallon jug. Top it up with wine.
- Let it stand undisturbed.
- After 3 months, siphon the clear wine on the top into clean dry bottles which are sanitized and cork them.
- Store the bottles in a cool dry place. Wait for 3 months before using this home-made wine recipe.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas