If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is the traditional French Béchamel Sauce used for gratins, soufflés, with eggs, etc. This will give you a creamy medium thick Béchamel. For a thick Béchamel use 1/2 to 1 ounce more of butter and flour for the same quantity of milk. —Babette's Feast
Serves: 1 litre of béchamel
cups whole milk
ounces butter cut in small cubes
ounces all purpose flour
- Warm the milk.
- Sift the flour twice to lighten it.
- In a pan, melt the cut up butter until it starts to sizzle. When it stops sizzling, add the flour all at once and whisk continuously over low heat until well blended and almost dry.
- Slowly whisk in the warm milk, stirring constantly. When it's creamy, continue cooking for 12 minutes over low heat to cook the flour.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Other ingredients you can add to change the taste: curry or all spice for a vegetable gratin, or Emmenthal cheese for a potato gratin.