If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Are you one of the many people out there who are trying to cut back on their red meat consumption? To me, nothing can substitute for a great steak so I won't say this dish will make you forget your favorite tenderloin! But potatoes and chickpeas do make a great vegetarian meal - even if you are not a vegetarian! This curry dish is quick and easy to prepare. I usually wrap them in a flour tortillas so I can freeze them and pull them out for a quick workday lunch. Even though I add mango chutney inside the lunch wraps, I also take a bit extra a long for extra flavour.
Of course, they are also great as a main dinner meal sans tortilla - easy, quick and delicious. Naan bread would make a great accompaniment so you can slop up the leftover sauce on your plate! —Ceecee Lee
- 1.5 pounds potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 jalapeno, small
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup peas
- 6 soft tortillas, large
- 1/2 cup mango chutney (optional)
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes (don't peel them unless you want them that way).
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and cook till they start to jump and pop.
- Add the onions and cook with low heat till soft. Stir frequently.
- Add the rest of the spices, salt, jalapeno and potatoes.
- Stir for a minute or two until everything is nicely mixed.
- Add water or stock. Stir. Cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are cooked and tender.
- Add the peas, cover pan and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- I like to mash up the mixture just a little - but up to you!
- Cool for 15 minutes.
- Take a tortilla and spread about a tbsp of chutney down the middle of the tortilla.
- Place about 1/2 - 2/3 cup potato mixture onto tortillas, over the chutney.
- Wrap like a burrito.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas