Author Notes: Tomatoes pair beautifully with many other fruits - in a salad with mangoes and mozzarella, in a chunky sweet and savory sauce with guava, and here with a fruit I experimented with, honestly, because I wanted to stick to a red color scheme for a Valentine's Day appetizer I made for dinner at home. Enjoy!
—Emily | Cinnamon&Citrus
Serves: 4 appetizer portions
French Baguette (or pick up a demi-baguette if available)
ounces Burrata cheese
strawberries, hulled, and quartered
grape tomatoes, quartered
cup aged balsamic vinegar
rounded tablespoon honey
teaspoon granulated sugar
salt and pepper
extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Turn the oven to Broil. Drizzle the crostini with olive oil and broil roughly 5 minutes (watch carefully!)
- Quarter the strawberries and macerate in a bowl with 1 tsp sugar, a pinch of salt and a half pinch of black pepper until a little bit of liquid forms in the bowl. This happens in about 10 minutes or so. Quarter the grape tomatoes and also season this component with a pinch of salt and few grates of black pepper. Combine the strawberries and tomatoes.
- Cook balsamic vinegar with honey in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium high heat until reduced by half to a syrupy consistency, about 7 minutes, stirring frequently in the early stages to distribute the honey throughout.
- Now, you are ready to compose: place a dollop of buratta on each crostini, being sure to salt and pepper this layer. Spoon on some tomato-strawberry mixture and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Appetizer to Share with Friends
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Berry Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Tomato Showstopper