Author Notes: Recently my four year old granddaughter visited for a few days. She eats anything as long as it is mac n cheese (for breakfast!!). I enticed her with wonderful mac n cheese recipes...nooooo, not orange enough like the one that comes in the blue and yellow box. We chose a nice restaurant that served mac n cheese (Press)...noooo to their great mac n cheese too. So all the adults converged upon her discarded entre like vultures! The server shaved some truffles on the dish and wow...I will never turn up my nose at this kid's favorite again! —dymnyno
8 oz ziti lunghi, a very long tube pasta also called bucatini, made from durum semolina
1 tbs butter
1 cup grated cheddar
1 cup grated gruyere
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 egg yolks
shaved truffles (I used a jar since I had no access to fresh but, ...)
- Melt the butter.
- Add the Cheddar and the Gruyere cheese
- Add the milk and the cream and melt until smooth and creamy.
- Beat the eggs a little.
- Remove the cheese from the flame. Slowly add the eggs into the mixture. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta in a very large pot of boiling salted water. The pasta is very very long so you need a large pot. Drain into a colander .
- I used an 6 inch metal mixing bowl which I buttered. I lined the bowl with a layer of ziti lunghi. Then I added some cheese mixture. More pasta, then more cheese until the bowl was filled to the top.
- I placed the bowl on a baking sheet and put it into a 350 oven for about 30 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle I flipped the bowl over on a plate so it became a mound of pasta.
- Shave truffles all over the top and sides of the pasta mound. Sprinkle a little sea salt. Pass the truffles and shaver around for anyone who wants more. (All the amounts above are subject to price)