Hands down .. my favorite chocolate chip cookie. Baking up fat and tall, with a crisp, almost crust-like exterior .. on the inside, they’re soft, with chocolate in every bite
~ Adapted from Kim Boyce .. Good to the Grain —VeggiesByCandlelight
- Serves 20
- Dry Ingredients
1 1/2 teaspoons
1 1/2 teaspoons
- Wet Mix
(2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
organic dark brown sugar (** the original calls for 1 cup dark brown sugar)
coconut sugar (** the original calls for 1 cup sugar)
pure vanilla extract
sugar-free chocolate chips (** the original calls for 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, shaved)
In This Recipe
- Place two racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl, pouring back into the bowl any bits of grain or other ingredients that may remain in the sifter.
- Add the butter and the sugars beat with a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. With the mixer on low-speed, mix just until the butter and sugars are blended, about 2 minutes. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until each is combined. Mix in the vanilla
- Add the flour mixture to the bowl and blend on low-speed until the flour is barely combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add the chocolate all at once & mix on low-speed until the chocolate is evenly combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, then scrape the batter out onto a work surface, and use your hands to fully incorporate all the ingredients.
- Scoop mounds of dough about 3 tablespoons in size onto the baking sheet, leaving 3 inches between them, or about 6 to a sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 16 to 20 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through, until the cookies are evenly brown.
- Transfer the cookies, still on the parchment, to the counter to cool .. giving them a quick sprinkling .. with a pinch of sea salt. Repeat with the remaining dough
- These cookies are best eaten warm from the oven or later that same day. They also keep beautifully in the freezer .. either freezing the dough or the cookies once they're cooled. 20-30 seconds in the microwave is all you need to warm one up