Author Notes: Quick cook bulgur wheat with asparagus and poached eggs. Light, healthy and filling. —Maria Stordahl Nelson
cup quick cooking wheat bulgur
tablespoon white vinegar
tablespoon garlic infused olive oil
tablespoons parmesan cheese
tablespoon grape syrup (or must)
tablespoons white wine vinegar
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 C. of water to a boil.
- Add the bulgur and a dash of salt.
- Cover and turn heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Fill a small sauté pan halfway with water and bring to a boil.
- Add the asparagus and simmer on medium heat 3-4 minutes, until the asparagus is fork tender.
- While the asparagus cooks, fill a pie dish with ice water.
- Once asparagus is cooked, plunge it into the ice water to stop the cooking and let it sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Empty the water from the small saucepan and add fresh. Bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add the white vinegar. Add the eggs and poach 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and transfer them carefully to a paper towel lined plate.
- Place the cooked bulgur on a serving plate and drizzle over the garlic olive oil, the grape syrup and the white wine vinegar. Toss lightly then sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Place the asparagus and the egg on top, seasoning with salt, pepper and red chili flakes if desired.