If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I created this dish out of a deep love for mushrooms and cream cheese. In these special stuffed mushrooms, cream cheese acts as the creamy binder for caramelized onions, parmesan cheese, flavorful spices, and zesty bright scallions. You top off a mushroom cap with some of this cream cheese mixture, and you got yourself some special 'shrooms that anybody would happily devour. Don't forget to sprinkle with extra chopped scallions for a fresh surprise! —Full-thyme Student
Makes 12 mushrooms
- 12 large (2 1/2-inch-diameter) cremini or white mushrooms with stems
- 1/3 cup finely chopped white or yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces (a little less than ½ cup) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 scallion, white and green parts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove stems from mushrooms and chop them finely. Reserve ½ cup minced stems.
- In a small skillet over medium-high heat, cook mushroom stems, onions, and minced garlic in the oil, stirring occasionally, until browned and softened, for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. In a small mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, parmesan cheese, parsley, 1 tablespoon green onions, salt, black pepper, cayenne, and cooled mushroom/onion mixture until evenly mixed. Spoon a heaping teaspoon of filling into the mushroom cavities and arrange on the lined baking sheet, cavity side up.
- Place baking sheet in center rack of oven, and bake 20-23 minutes, or until filling is lightly golden brown on top and mushrooms are tender. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for at least 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with remaining green onions. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Scallions