If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A simple classic winter to spring salad that is always found on my food table for weekday dinners and special gatherings —cucina di mammina
- 1 large head of fresh organic fennel (with fronds attached); cleaned & trimmed
- 1 to 2 medium to large fresh organic oranges (Valencia or Navel variety)
- very good quality extra virgin olive oil
- cracked black pepper (to taste)
- sea salt (to taste)
- optional: grated orange zest
- Cut the fennel in half and then quarters. Using a mandoline (use the hand grip for protection against the blades!), carefully slice the fennel into thin slices; reserve the fennel fronds to add in later. Trim the skin off the oranges and cut out the fruit segments and place them in a bowl.
- Layer the slices of fennel and the segmented oranges on to a flat large serving platter and drizzle heavily with olive oil. Season with sea salt and cracked pepper to taste.
- Chop some of the fennel fronds and scatter over the top generously. If you like, you can zest some of the orange skin to add to the salad right before serving.