If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I realize blood oranges, pistachios and baby kale aren't exactly pantry staples, but this combination is worth seeking out if you don't hoard blood oranges and dark leafy greens this time year. I've also made this salad with a grapefruit, and the tartness lends a nice quality! Just increase the maple syrup a bit to round things out. And because I'm obnoxious, I'm going to say that a fresh goat cheese will really send this salad over the top. I should also mention that this salad will hold up well as a packed lunch since kale (even dressed) will hold up for several hours without getting wilty. —Holly Daws | Feast or Fallow
Serves 4, as a side
For the salad:
- 2 handfuls baby kale, chopped
- 1 blood orange
- 1/4 cup de-shelled pistachios
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (optional, but I like it, especially if this is your lunch)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon grade b maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinches salt + pepper
- Chop kale into rough, 1-inch pieces. MIx the vinaigrette in a small jar with a lid, shake well to combine. Toss the kale in the dressing and let it soak while you prepare the rest.
- Slice off the top and bottom of the blood orange, then working with a pairing knife, cut around the fruit to remove the peel and pithy layer. Slice the orange into wedges, then carefully chop into bite-sized pieces; keep as much juice in tack as possible.
- Add the chopped orange to the kale along with pistachios, avocado, quinoa and goat cheese.
- Give it a couple of tosses to coat everything, divide between bowls, garnish with sesame seeds, and serve!