If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is adapted from one I found in Cooking Light ca. 2005. I don't remember what the original recipe was called, but I call these "Mud-Phuds" because I started making them while working towards my MD and PhD degrees. —Laura
Makes 18 muffins
- 5 ounces whole wheat flour
- 2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons ground flax
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon wheat or oat bran (optional)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 egg, or 2-3 egg whites
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup plain yogurt (non-fat, low-fat, whatever) or buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or honey (optional)
- 10-12 dates, pitted and chopped (~1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pans with paper liners.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Use a blender to combine all the wet ingredients until homogenous. If you don't have a blender, use a food processor to blend the dates with the yogurt or buttermilk, then use an electric mixer (or muscle power) to blend all the wet ingredients together.
- Gently stir dry ingredients into wet until just combined.
- Divide batter between 18 muffin tins. Bake 15-20 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts