If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Traditional Turkish dessert, made by only 4 simple ingredients. Obviously the walnuts makes the finishing touch to the dish and gives the irresistible taste. It takes many trials to reach perfect pumpkin dessert like our ancestors. Recipe serves for 6-8 people, but usually it finishes in the kitchen... —Osman K. Pekin
pounds Pumpkin, peeled and chunked.
cups Granulated Sugar
pieces Whole Cloves
cups Halved Walnuts
- Cut whole pumpkin into wedges and trim off the skin. Clean all the seeds and make sure you have smooth pumpkin wedges.
- Depending on their size cut the pumpkin wedges into 2-3 pieces (around 3-4 inches long). Give them a good wash under cold water. Dry them fully with a paper towel.
- Put pumpkin chunks into a heavy and large sauce pot. Cover the pumpkin with sugar and put the whole cloves. If the pumpkins are too sweet use 1.5 cup of sugar instead of 2 cups. Put the lid on and leave over night in a room temperature (for 12 hours). This will allow pumpkins to release the water inside them and we will not be putting additional water while cooking.
- Cook the pumpkins over medium heat for 2.5-3 hours. (Until the pumpkins soften but not mushy.) In the last 30 to 45 minutes open the lid so sugar and the water become syrupy. After cooked cool for 4-5 hours. It can be kept in the refrigerator up to a week.
- This is the important part, before serving in pestle and mortar crush walnuts in to small chunks. Place the pumpkins on a service platter and don't forget to put the syrup on top as well. From a hight crumble walnut pieces and Bon Appétit.
- Also you can serve with good quality vanilla ice-cream, preferably not very sweet.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts