Author Notes: This cake has been used in my family for parties and gatherings ever since I can remember. It’s so light and irresistible, it's impossible to say no to it. This cake is so simple, and the result so beautiful, you'll pass on the more complicated desserts and take to new walnut roads! It's a promise. —Maria Teresa Jorge
Food52 Review: I was a little skeptical that a cake could be made with only three ingredients, but what a delight! The ground walnuts provide depth and texture, resulting in a simple, sweet cake that works as well for dessert as it does for a slightly decadent breakfast treat. Pay attention to the author’s instructions not to overbake the cake, but be careful with the cooking time -- mine took far longer than 25 minutes. —Megan
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 40 min
ounces ground walnuts
ounces fine sugar
eggs, at room temperature
walnut halves, for decoration
dash icing sugar for decoration
Sweetened whipping cream for serving
- Butter and flour a 9-inch pan. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Beat the sugar with the yolks until very fluffy and light in color, about 8 to 10 minutes. With a spatula, mix in the ground walnuts.
- Beat the egg whites to soft peaks. In three parts, delicately fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- Pour the cake mixture into the pan and bake until it starts to shrink from the sides and a toothpick comes out just slightly humid but with no crumbs or cake mixture - 30 / 40 minutes depending on the oven. Do not overbake - it should be moist inside!
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning it out on a cooling rack.
- When cool, transfer to a serving plate, dust with a cloud of icing sugar, and decorate with the walnut halves. Serve with slightly cold whipped cream. Enjoy!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts