Author Notes: This simple and delicious salad goes together in less than 10 minutes, from just a few ingredients. It's hearty enough to serve as an entree, and we eat this often. This salad travels well, too (just transport the greens and topping in separate containers) - the attached picture was taken on a recent road trip to St. Louis. —Magpye
Makes: dinner salads for 2, or side salads for 4-6
can of oil-packed tuna
large clove of garlic
tablespoons rice wine vinegar (don't substitute)
tablespoons olive oil
ounce Parmesan cheese
large bunch romaine lettuce
Salt and Pepper
- Slice head romaine lettuce along its length into 1 inch pieces (as for Caesar Salad). Wash well and spin away excess moisture.
- Open tuna and empty into large bowl. Mash with fork and add olive oil and rice wine vinegar
- Grate carrots (use large-holed grater) and mince garlic. Add to tuna mixture and stir to combine well
- Using the same large-holed grater, grate Parmesan cheese and stir into carrot-tuna mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste (we prefer lots of black pepper).
- Divide lettuce between 2 large bowls if serving as an entree, or 4-6 smaller bowls if serving as a side.
- Divide carrot-tuna mixture evenly between bowls and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe