If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe uses local/organic eggs (mostly whites), leeks, cheddar, smoked salmon for some flavor, cream cheese, dill, etc. It was delicious, looked pretty fancy, and actually kept really well for a couple of days. And, was surprisingly really light - not to mention carb-free - for how much went into it! —And What I Ate
eggs - 5 yolks & whites, 7 whites
bunches leeks (white parts only) washed & cut into half moons
vidalia onions, cut into half moons
chopped smoked salmon
tablespoon chopped dill
cup grated cheddar
tablespoons cream cheese, cut into little dots
kosher salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Wash the leeks - these are kind of tough to clean, because all the dirt from the ground gets in between the little sections. The easiest way to clean them is to lop off the green parts and the very end of the white parts, cut them in half lengthwise, and submerge them in water for a little bit, kind of flipping through the sections of them as if they were a deck of cards. This will loosen and release any dirt hiding in them.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter. Chop the onion and the washed leeks, then add to the pan when butter is melted and cook until wilted, approx. 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, add eggs, smoked salmon, cheddar, dill, milk, salt & pepper. Mix to combine well.
- Lightly grease a larger pie pan or casserole dish (either with butter or cooking spray), then add the leek/onion mixture to form a base for the Breakfast Bake.
- Add the egg mixture on top of the leeks, and kind of bang around the pan so the mixture gets in between the cracks of the leeks and onions, and combines with everything.
- Remove from oven and let sit to cool for 15 minutes. Cut and serve. We had this with a Shaved Asparagus Salad, and it was a perfect little brunch.