If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was flipping through the pages of Bon Appetite magazine & came across a recipe for strawberry-rhubarb salad. Being a forever fan of the pie version (my mom still makes the best strawberry rhubarb pie!). Coincidentally, my sister-in-law, Dulcie, asked me how else she could prepare rhubarb. Clearly the universe was telling me that I needed to try out the salad. It did not disappoint. It was every bit tangy & sweet that the pie is but in a healthy salady-bite. I did change it up a bit from the original recipe swapping out hazelnuts for walnuts & adding some arugla because it’s what I had on hand - & I just love arugula.
PS: This recipe calls for mint. I could only find a small potted plant of the mint - wish me luck keeping her alive & green because my thumb is not.
PPS: Bon Appetit suggests not making this salad the night before in fear that the rhubarb will breakdown too much & become too soft. Make it as close to serving time as possible.
Recipe adapted from —mrshoh
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 2 rhubarb stalks, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 orange, juice & zest
- 1/2 lemon, juice & zest
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled, quartered
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, torn or julienned
- 1 cup baby arugula
- In a dry skillet over low heat toast walnut pieces, occasionally tossing until you begin to smell them toasting.
- Remove from heat. Let cool & then chop.
- Toss strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, citrus zest & juices in a medium bowl.
- Let sit until the rhubarb slightly softens, about 30 minutes.
- Toss with mint, arugula & walnuts.
- Serve immediately.