Author Notes: I was flipping through the pages of Bon Appetite magazine & came across a recipe for strawberry-rhubarb salad. Being a forever fan of the pie version (my mom still makes the best strawberry rhubarb pie!). Coincidentally, my sister-in-law, Dulcie, asked me how else she could prepare rhubarb. Clearly the universe was telling me that I needed to try out the salad. It did not disappoint. It was every bit tangy & sweet that the pie is but in a healthy salady-bite. I did change it up a bit from the original recipe swapping out hazelnuts for walnuts & adding some arugla because it’s what I had on hand - & I just love arugula.
PS: This recipe calls for mint. I could only find a small potted plant of the mint - wish me luck keeping her alive & green because my thumb is not.
PPS: Bon Appetit suggests not making this salad the night before in fear that the rhubarb will breakdown too much & become too soft. Make it as close to serving time as possible.
Recipe adapted from —mrshoh
cup walnut pieces
rhubarb stalks, thinly sliced on the diagonal
orange, juice & zest
lemon, juice & zest
pound strawberries, hulled, quartered
cup mint leaves, torn or julienned
cup baby arugula
- In a dry skillet over low heat toast walnut pieces, occasionally tossing until you begin to smell them toasting.
- Remove from heat. Let cool & then chop.
- Toss strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, citrus zest & juices in a medium bowl.
- Let sit until the rhubarb slightly softens, about 30 minutes.
- Toss with mint, arugula & walnuts.
- Serve immediately.