Author Notes: Crunchy -- in both senses of the word. This is the ultimate clumpy granola, plus it tastes like banana bread, PLUS it has flax seeds which I hear are good for you. I adapted this from a wonderful Happy Yolks recipe -- tweaking it to just what I like. —Posie (Harwood) Brien
Makes: 1 batch
cups rolled oats
very ripe bananas (I like to use frozen, then thawed ones)
cup flax seeds
cup coconut oil, melted
teaspoon cinnamon (use spicy Saigon if you can)
pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the bananas, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Mix until well combined and thick, and then add the oats.
- Mix on medium-low speed for about 3 minutes, then add in the cinnamon, cardamom, salt and flax seeds and mix until combined.
- Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake it for about 25 to 30 minutes. After about 15 minutes, check the granola and stir it around gently with a spoon so it browns evenly but don't break up the clumps too much. Let it cool before breaking it up with your hands in large clumps.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Honey
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Breakfast Baked Good