If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I made this up...from reading a bunch of Korean recipes and just loving Korean food. It's not really authentic, but it's really good! The gochuchang is essential...there is no substitute. My BF would never touch oxtails as a kid...this is his favorite dish now. —Susan Drake
- 4 pounds oxtails
- 2 tablespoons veg oil
- 2 sweet onions, sliced
- 1 cup soju or sake
- 1 asian or regular pear, sliced (canned is OK)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons gochuchang (not optional!)
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh red chili paste (or more to taste)
- 2-3 dried red chilies
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1/2 cup good quality soy sauce
- 1 quart beef stock
- season the oxtails with the salt and pepper
- heat the oil in a heavy pot, and brown the oxtails
- remove the oxtails, and caramelize the onions/pears in the same pan.
- deglaze with the soju or sake.
- add all other ingredients (enough liquid to cover)... remove to a crock pot to cook on high for 4-5 hours or, alternately, cover the pan and cook in the oven at 325 for the same amount of time.
- serve with jasmine rice and kimchee.