If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Excerpted from COOLHAUS © 2014 by Natasha Case and Freya Estreller. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved. —Natasha Case
Makes 1 1/2 quarts
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
- 8 large egg yoks
- In a 4-quart saucepan, combine milk and half of the sugar. Set over high heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk yolks and remaining sugar until smooth, heavy, and pale yellow, about 30 seconds.
- When the cream mixture just comes to a boil, whisk, removed from hear, and in a slow stream, pour half of cream mixture over yolk-sugar mixture, whisking constantly until blended.
- Return pan to stovetop over low heat. Whisking constantly, stream yolk-cream mixture back into pan.
- With a wooden spoon, continue stirring until mixture registers 165 to 180° F on an instant-read thermometer, about 2 minutes. Do not heat above 180° F, or the eggs in the base will scramble. Mixture should be slightly thickened and coat back of spoon, with steam rising, but not boiling. (If you blow on the back of the spoon and the mixture ripples, you've got the right consistency.)
- Pour into a clean airtight container and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours before using.
- Use base within 3 to 5 days.
Strawberry and Cream Gelato
- 12 to 14 strawberries
- 1 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- Juice of half a lemon
- Gelato Base
- In a blender or food processor, puree strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into Gelato Base. Mix well.
- Process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Scrape into an airtight storage container. Freeze for a minimum of 2 hours before serving.
- Pair with snickerdoodle cookies to make our "Frank Beh-ry Ice Cream Sandwich".
- This recipe is a Community Pick!