If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This soup easily converts to a vegetarian dish by simply omitting the crab. Alternatively, ham also works well if crab is not available or desired. This is NOT a low cal dish! —Chef Lisa
Serves 8 as a main course
For the chowder
- 4 cups whole milk
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 leeks, whites only, thinly sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup Hatch peppers, mild and finely diced
- 6 tablespoons All-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons Water
- 3 cups Fresh corn kernels, thinly cut from the cob then grate cob on fine grate of a box grater, reserving the "milk" and the cobs
- 8 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 1 pound Fresh, jumbo lump blue crab meat (do not use pasteurized crab)
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon White pepper
- In a saucepan, heat the milk and evaporated milk, but do not bring to the boil. Set aside when heated.
- In a large stockpot, combine the 2 cups water, leeks, Hatch peppers, celery, potatoes and the reserved corn cobs. Cook, covered, until potatoes are just tender.
- Once tender, remove the cobs and discard them. Make a slurry out of the 6T flour and 6T water. Stir the slurry into the stock.
- Add the corn kernels, corn milk, butter, salt, pepper and the warm milks. Bring this to the boil, then reduce it to a simmer until thick.
- Check seasonings. Add crabmeat and very gently stir to mix. Serve immediately with garnish and parsley, if desired
For the garnish
- 2 cups Oyster crackers
- 1\4 cups Unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Dry crab boil, such as Zatarain's
- 2 tablespoons Parsley, chopped
- In a bowl, combine the cracker, butter and crab boil to coat the crackers.
- Place the mixture evenly on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake at 350 until browned, about 12 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Corn