Author Notes: I bake a lot with corn flour because it gives cakes a light and crunchy texture.
These little mini bundt cakes are a delicious treat for tea or birthday parties - they are so cute and irresistable.
Warning: Don't even eat one warm - you'll end up eating another 4 or 5. I'm telling you this by my own experience. And baking them with children around, forget making dinner, just keep baking! —Maria Teresa Jorge
Serves: 18 mini bundts
large eggs room temperature
cup (150gr) fine sugar
cup (110gr) butter at room temperature
cup (100gr) all purpose flour
cup minus 1 tbsp / (100gr) extra fine corn flour
teaspoons baking powder
large orange - zest and juice
cup Icing sugar
cup fresh orange juice (sieved)
- Grease mini Bundt pans - I used Wilton 12 - Cavity Mini Fluted Non-Stick Pan.
- Separate the yolks from the whites. Zest orange and make juice.
- Sift the two flours and baking powder together and set aside.
- In an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the sugar with the orange zest for 1 minute to release the flavour and oils of the orange zest.
- Add the butter and keep beating for another 8 minutes until the mixture is fluffy and whitish.
- Add the yolks, one at a time, beating 1 minute between each addition.
- Add the orange juice and beat until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture in three parts, beating just until mixed (the minimum possible).
- Beat the egg whites with the salt until medium peaks form. Fold in the egg whites by hand, with a rubber spatula, taking care not to over mix.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350º F / 180º C / Gas 4 with rack in the middle.
- Fill the muffin pans to 3/4 of the height and bake the muffins until cooked and golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes in pan on cooling rack and then remove and cool completely on cooling rack.
- Serve either plain, dusted with Icing sugar or Orange Glaze
- Orange Glaze: In a small mixing bowl, combine the Icing sugar and fresh orange juice together. Whisk until smooth and no lumps are visible. Put the cooling rack over a tray and drizzle the glaze over each cake.