If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A very moist cornbread with seasonal ingredient like ramps. Jalapenos add a nice touch of spiciness to it. —PistachioDoughnut
Serves 6 as a side
- 1 cup (medium-grind cornmeal)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter
- 11/2 cups buttermilk, use more if needed
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey or 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cup ramps slighlty roasted
- 1 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 Jalapeno finely chopped
- Whisk in cornmeal to the buttermilk and leave it to rest for 10 mins or till you prepare other ingredients. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Clean and chop the ramps thoroughly. Heat a large saute pan to medium and coat the bottom with 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the ramps and cook them until they are slightly brown or sauteed. Season with salt and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the whisked eggs, one at a time. Add the melted butter, honey, sugar and cornmeal/buttermilk mixture and mix until smooth. Add the chopped Jalapeno as well.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until combined and then gently stir in the corn kernels, mixing them until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Grease two tablespoons butter in a 8 or 10 inch round cake pan (you can also use a cast-iron skillet). Pour in the batter, spreading it evenly and sprinkle the sauteed ramp evenly over the top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the cornbread is firm and springing (the baking time will depend on the size and type of pan) and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes before slicing it into squares or wedges. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Corn