Author Notes: Don't know what to do with those broccoli stems? Make this refreshing, crunchy, spring or summer salad to share at your next family picnic or gathering. Just 5 main ingredients and can be whipped up in 30 minutes or less!! Freshly roasted hazelnuts add an extra crunch element to the salad. —Stacy
bunch kale, washed, dried, stems and ribs removed and thinly sliced
broccoli stems, peeled and julienned
sea salt and pepper
cup extra virgin olive oil
large leek, white and tender green parts only (SEE PREP BELOW)
tablespoons lemon juice
cup raw hazelnuts
fresh Pecorino Romano
- **PREP LEEKS**: Place a large bowl of cold water to the side. Cut the ends and then in half, longwise. Rinse under cold water from roots to top between each layer to remove large pieces of dirt. Thinly slice in half moon shapes and place in cold water bowl. Gently rinse in water (remove excess dirt). Use a slotted spoon or colander to remove from water before use.
- Toast hazelnuts in dry pan on medium heat until skins are blistered and nuts are golden brown. Option to toast in oven. Preheat oven to 350 F, spread hazelnuts in a pan and roast for about 12-14 minutes. Once cooled, place on kitchen towel, rub skins off, and chop nuts.
- Put sliced kale and julienned broccoli stems in a bowl. Season with salt (option a little bit of extra virgin olive oil). Massage salad with hands until softened. **This is also a must for raw kale; aids of easier digestion of the raw kale**
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil on med-high. Add leeks and continuously cook and stir until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, and season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Pour dressing over salad and let it stand for 3 minutes. Toss well to coat. Add toasted hazelnuts and shave pecorino on top before serving.